Friday, February 7, 2014

It's a new year.

January 7,2013

My dearest Fam and Friends,

     It has been oh so cold here! I loved reading Ashy's letter because I feel like were in the same boat as far as weather goes! Yesterday it was -3 with a wind-chill of -20. What in the world!? I guess it kind of just feels like Wisconsin weather in the winter but we only stay there for a week and let me tell you, it's way different living in it. Ashy, I agree, never do I ever think I could live somewhere so cold. I thought I was use to the cold and snow since I lived in Provo, but it's way different then that cold. We're spoiled though, we have a car almost every single day so we don't have to walk too much and pretty much 6 hours of everyday are spent in the lovely heated VC.
    
 Highlights of the week...

- One of our investigators, Melissa, called us earlier this week at like 8:30 in the morning crying. We asked her why she was so sad and she told us it was because she heard about how Joseph Smith died. She already knew that he had been killed but she had never been told how. She was so upset. She was so funny, she told us she wanted to go to Carthage and seek revenge! haha The whole thing was just really sweet. She really loves the prophet and has such a strong testimony of his divine role in restoring the church. She knows the church is true and bears her testimony with strong conviction to us all the time. She has some hold ups that were trying to work through with her. I know that it will only be a matter of time until she and her 9 year old son Theo are baptized. I have really grown to love her!

- VALERIE WAS BAPTIZED! Oh, you guys would just love her! She is the funniest lady! It's been such a blessing to be able to be apart of teaching her. They started teaching her about 2 or 3 weeks before I got there and then Sister Heylen and I got to teach her for about 2 and a half weeks and help prepare her for her baptism. Her baptism was so special! The spirit was ever present the entire service. From the moment we started singing the opening song to the very end of the service, Valerie was in tears the entire time. She has changed so much and it has been so neat to see how the Lord has prepared her to receive the gospel.

- I got to see Lhaylla! This was such a tender mercy! I've thought and prayed a lot for everyone I was working with in Liberty and it has been the biggest blessing to first see the Burchs and then her! It was for just a minute because she was going into the VC when I was leaving, but it was the best! I gave her a hug and got to see how she was doing. She's doing so good!

     That's kind of it for the week! All in all, the work is really going well here in the Independence 1st ward. I truly believe it's progressing the way it is because many of the members have caught the vision the Lord has for them in helping with missionary work. If there is something I've learned on the mission, it's how to be a better member missionary for the rest of my life. As a missionary I have been able to see how crucial members roles are in helping with the work. Honestly, before the mission, I didn't have a clue how to be a good member missionary. I mean, I tried to be an example, but it's more than being an example. We should all strive to be good examples just because we are striving to be like our Savior. The Lord needs members who will go the extra mile to hasten His work. Some ideas I've had at how we can do this are....... Opening our homes for the missionaries to teach investigators at, invite missionaries to bring people they are working with when they come to dinners, pray by name for those that the missionaries are working with, and the list could go on forever and ever! haha I really hope I don't sound preachy, but being out here has just really opened my eyes to see how critical members are in helping the work progress! Think of how many lives would be touched if we could all catch the vision our Father in Heaven has for this work!

     Well, I love you all so very much! You have no idea how much your love and support has helped me this past year! I want you to know that I know that Jesus is the Christ. I know He LIVES and that this very work of salvation is His. Make it a wonderful week! LOVE YOU! XOXOX

love always,
      Hermana Jorgensen







1. Valerie teary up as she reads her program:) it was the sweetest!
2. BAPTISM DAY!!!

3. Shoveling snow. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment