Friday, February 7, 2014

CAN YOU BELIEVE I'VE BEEN A MISSIONARY FOR A WHOLE YEAR?!?!?!

December 31, 2013

My dearest fam and friends,

     Oh my goodness, skyping was the best!!!! I don't know why, but every time I get so nervous that it's going to be awkward or weird because I haven't seen you guys in so long, but then it's completely normal and so good! You guys looked so happy! That was the best Christmas present I could have asked for! I would have to agree with Ashy, Christmas was great, but I'm so excited that we all get to be together next Christmas. :)

     Holidays are the weirdest on the mission. They don't really feel like holidays, which I think is actually a good thing because then it doesn't make me that sad or homesick. This Christmas was really special though. One never to be forgotten. I got to serve at the Visitor Center for the first part of the day and then latter that night we got to sing at the Old Folks Home. The residents there were so happy and we could tell it made their whole day. I'm thinking that could be a new Christmas tradition. It just so felt so good to be thinking about others on that day. We also went to visit some of the recent converts in our ward that night. We asked how their Christmas went and if it was fun opening presents and they were really quiet and then said they didn't get any presents. So, we gathered up a whole bunch of stuff from the sisters and wrapped it all, and the next day brought over a ton of presents. Their faces were priceless. As President Monson said, the spirit of Christmas truly is the spirit of Christ.

     On Saturday, I had a surprise visit from the Burchs! Oh, it made my whole day! I've been having a little bit of a hard time adjusting to my new area, the VC, and a new companion, and seeing them was like seeing family and it really helped me a lot. Tomorrows the day. They're completely quitting coffee so they can go to the temple soon! How exciting is that?! Boy, do I love them!

     Our investigator Valarie is getting baptized this week and were so excited for her!!!!

     Miracle of the week..... So, my second day in the area, a member we were visiting said her neighbors just moved in, so we went over to visit them. Their names are Amy and Felipe and they have a little two year old son named Zethan. Since then, we have taught them two lessons and they've come to church! :) This past week, they told us they really feel like us meeting them was not an accident and they said they want to get baptized in February. The only problem is that they need to get married. They're engaged, so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal. Pray for them! They are like too good to be true and so so normal!

     Lastly, I finished the book, "Our Heritage", this week. It was all about church history and I loved it. I seriously think I'm going to be completely obsessed with church history when I get home. I already kind of am, from serving here. I just love learning about all the incredible stories of those who've gone before us. They are so inspiring and faith promoting. I have already learned so much from learning about the Saints who settled here in Jackson County. They are amazing examples. They were willing to give up everything, and in doing so, were still happy because "it was for the gospel's sake". They've taught me about the importance of having a positive attitude despite the trials we face in our lives. I'm so grateful to be a missionary here in Independence! I know I kind of had mixed thoughts when I got my call, but I can honestly say that I love it here and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I know this is where the Lord needed me and still needs me. I'm so blessed!

     Well, I sure do love you guys! Have such a wonderful week! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

love always,

            Hermana Jorgensen

No comments:

Post a Comment